Pages

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

BATANGAS: Taal - I Found The Largest Basilica in Asia!

Every time I went to Lemery Batangas, I always saw a church from a far viewed from the waters of Batangas. They say that it's Taal's Basilica, the Philippine's and the Asia's largest church - St. Martin de Tours. I always wanted to check it out, wondering how really big it is.

Had a chance to pass the town of Taal going to Bauan Batangas, I asked Raymond to look for the Basilica so we can experience it's architecture, design and heritage. Plus another landmark added to our list. With my family and Raymond, we visited the church and amazed how big it is plus its design.

Church construction begun in 1855 by Fr. Marcos Anton, though it's not yet finished it was inagurated in 1865 and finished by Fr. Agapito Aparicio in 1878.

It's 24-meter high and 10-meter wide Doric style, a classical ancient Greek architecture, main altar is amazing.

When we went there, there were "manangs"  praying in front rows of the church. As a courtesy, I didn't bother to move closer, and since I don't have telephoto lens, I just took photos of main altar from afar.

 At the right side of the church, like other old churches, they have this mint green "pulpito" while image of Our Lady of Caysasay is situated on the same side of the Altar.

                  The altar, the ceiling and the aisle.                                             My mom.

Outside, you will notice a small tower containing the large bell on the left side of the Church's facade which was destroyed during an earthquake in 1942 when it's belfry collapsed. It was considered as one of the largest bell in Philippines. It measures 19 feet in circumference, 9.33 feet around the crown, 6.42 feet high. It was constructed after, it's appearance doesn't fit Church anymore.

My family and the facade...with Raymond took te photo. . :)

Church info
Mass schedule
Mon-Friday: 6:00am
Wed & Saturday afternoon: 5:00pm
Sunday: 5:30am, 7:30am, 9:30am, 5:00pm


Like this Church Article? Share it with others too!

Want to share your thoughts? Leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...